Ah, one of the worst live acts ever. You call that a frontman!? No matter, Brotherhood is still one of my favorite records ever. They came through town with Echo & The Bunnymen in 1987. Not much of a show. Peter Hook came out for an encore and silenced an arena by screaming that someone up front needed to sit down and not move for the rest of the show. AWK-ward. They played 91X’s XFest II a couple of years later. Still boring but this time with a great light show. The one moment I remember was bending down to tie my shoe and it sounding amazing to just hear bass down there through all of those bodies. I told my friend and he tried it and he told someone next to him and soon everyone was crouching down to hear the boomin low tones.
20. NEW ORDER 87. Blue Monday (1983), 57. Blue Monday (84), 59. Sub-Culture, 24. Love Vigilantes 2. Perfect Kiss (85), 73. Perfect Kiss 63. Paradise 54. Bizarre Love Triangle 9. Shell Shock (86) 15. Nineteen Sixty Three 3. True Faith (87) 47. Blue Monday ’88 45. Touched by the Hand of God (88) 48. Loveless 27. Fine Time 7. Round and Round (89) 56. World in Motion (90) 86. World 36. Regret (93) 950points/19songs
Those early anthems were a harmless guilty pleasure but I didn’t have to think much of them until they took Louis XIV out on tour to travel the world. Then, all of a sudden, Ray was their keyboardist. Ray was a 20 year old violin whiz with my favorite music making friends Matt Curreri & The Ex-Friends. When Rookie Card said they’d learn any song for $50 for our telethon, we took on “The Devil Went Down To Georgia”. I knew he was classically trained but I asked if he could fiddle. He was INFURIATED that I didn’t know of his skills and vowed to destroy. That, he did on several occasions with us. Being a hired gun for Louis XIV got him in with the Killers crew and when he heard about the job opening, he turned to his bandmate Joanie, a piano teacher, to convert his musical prowess over to the 88 keys. It worked. We excitedly watched clips online of one of his very first gigs with them: a little festival called Reading. A BILLION people losing their minds in a dark field but we couldn’t spot him. He was shrouded in shadows and the camera crew was told not to film him. They lightened up after awhile…
19. THE KILLERS 07. Somebody Told Me 06. Mr. Brightside (04) 10. Smile Like You Mean It 6. All these Things I’ve Done (05) 85. Read My Mind 59. Bones 3. When You Were Young (06) 64. Shadowplay 49. For Reasons Unknown 30. Read My Mind 6. When You Were Young (07) 75. Shadowplay 17. Human (08) 76. A Dustland Fairytale 69. Human 17. Spaceman (09) 54. Miss Atomic Bomb, 25. Runaways (12) 998points/18songs
Starlight and Supermassive appearing three times each?! Er, ok. When I went to England in 1999, I took a shot and dropped a note to a friend of producer John Leckie to see if he’d want to chat. Turns out he was also going to Reading Festival to see a new band he’d just produced. They were pretty good but boy did they sound like Radiohead, who he’d also worked with. They were quite nice but I haven’t seen them since. Anyone know what they’ve been up to? You can read the whole tale at https://yerdoingreat.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/my-afternoon-at-reading-festival-with-an-invisible-rock-legend/
18. MUSE 61. Time Is Running Out 22. Hysteria (04) 65. Stockholm Syndrome (05) 39. Starlight 6. Knights of Cydonia (06) 40. Supermassive Black Hole 20. Knights of Cydonia 5. Starlight (07) 89. Map Of The Problematique 77. Starlight 47. Supermassive Black Hole (08) 87. Resistance 74. United States of Eurasia 24. Supermassive Black Hole 9. Uprising (09) 66. Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever) 34. Resistance 21. Uprising 15. Undisclosed Desires (10) 7. Madness (12) 1032points/20songs
Confession time. They are my guilty pleasure. I’ve never seen them and I have no desire to own any of their music but always turn ’em up when they come on the radio. I even headbang to that stupid “Drugstore cowgirl” song. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!?
17. 311 91. Don’t stay home (95) 15. All Mixed Up 8. Down (96) 38. Transistor 26. Prisoner 13. Beautiful Disaster(97) 33. Beautiful Disaster (98) 23. Come Original (99) 22. Flowing (00) 36. You Wouldn’t Believe 15. I’ll Be Here Awhile (01) 2. Amber (02) 34. Creatures (For A While) (03) 74. First Straw 15. Love Song (04) 24. Don’t Tread On Me (05) 57. Hey You (09) 25. Sunset In July (11) 1105/18
I’m bored just thinking about them. I bought and might’ve liked that first album for a second. Hopefully it’s in a better place now. I’ve liked a single or two for short spells but I will say this: that Joe Satriani lawsuit was ridiculous. He had a much greater chance of hearing instrumental Argentinian group Enanitos Verdes’ song (recorded two years before his, link below) than Coldplay would listening to him. I’ve already said too much.
16. COLDPLAY 17. Yellow (00) 39. Shiver 27. Trouble (01) 36. Clocks 15. In My Place (02) 79. God Put a Smile Upon You 25. Moses 1. The Scientist (03) 45. Talk 20. Speed of Sound 13. Fix You (05) 24. Talk (06) 54. Volet Hill 30. Lost! 3. Viva La Vida (08) 50. Vida La Vida (09) 62. Every Teardrop is a Waterfall 31. Paradise (11) 23. Paradise (12) 1154/19
“Undone” didn’t make me a fan but when the Riggs brothers visited in the Bay Area, they turned me on to all those Blue Album gems. When my grandpa passed away later that year, I ditched a family wake to see them at SOMA to cheer myself up. They came out to the Magnum PI theme and were incredible. They were still touring on the first album when I moved back to LA and despite Rivers’ leg surgery (he came out on crutches), they were fun once again at Universal Ampitheater. Years later, they were doing a few tiny comeback shows and I blew getting tickets to see them at the Casbah. Somehow, doorguy Ben found out, got my number and called to get me in. A very special night and, afterwards, Rivers told me he’d be happy to let us use a Weezer song on a Songs For Summer charity record followup I was still contemplating. Turns out the only reason they’d said no to the first one was because I’d mentioned that she also loved the Rentals.
The bigger UCSD comeback shows were a blast. They put on singalong songs before they came out at the first one so the entire arena was singing “Bohemian Rhapsody”. Then there was the amazing triple bill with JEW & Tenacious D. It was around this time that Rookie Card talked about learning the Blue Album for a themed charity show. None of us can remember who thought up the idea to show up as Geezer but it was a ton of fun. We only did it twice then forgot about it.
Years later, I heard the band was on tour and having fans play with them onstage in each city. I told FM94/9 Geezer was going to crash their audition. Turns out they needed someone to play two songs over and over for folks to play with and we were in. So we did our thing for 10,000 people, Rivers interviewed me when I gave him cookies and Zach and nurse Marissa ended up in the “Who’s Your Daddy?” video for half a second (link below). Geezer was reborn and even though we no longer just do Weezer songs, we get hardcore fans saying we’re the greatest. Some of those songs never get old, even if we are.
15. WEEZER 46. Buddy Holly 23. Undone (The Sweater Song) (94) 68. Buddy Holly 12. Say It Ain’t So (95) 70. El Scorcho (96) 61. The Good Life (97) 41. Photograph 12. Island In The Sun – 7. Hash Pipe (01) 32. Keep Fishin’ 8. Dope Nose (02) 35. Perfect Situation 30. We Are all on drugs 21. Beverly Hills (05) 11. Perfect Situation (06) 70. Everybody Get Dangerous 51. Troublemaker 5. Pork And Beans (08) 63. Pork and Beans 18. (If You’re Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To (09) 73. I Want You To (10) 1175/21
What can you say? His songs are mellow and samey and he’s supposedly a really nice guy. I saw him at a 91X Xmas show and it was exactly what you’d expect. The only strange part was watching the crowd get that excited about something so laid back.
14. JACK JOHNSON 4. Rodeo Clowns (w/G Love & Special Sauce) (99) 18. Bubble Toes 3. Flake (01) 27. Mudfootball 10. Middle Man(02) 22. The Horizon Has Been Defeated 15. Taylor 12. Wasting Time (03) 34. Sitting, Waiting, Wishing (04) 61. Badfish/Boss DJ 41. Good People 14. Sitting, Waiting, Wishing (05) 23. Upside Down (06) 36. If I Had Eyes (07) 62. Hope 27. If I Had Eyes (08) 53. At Or With Me 12. You And Your Heart (10) 89. At Or With Me (11) 1185/19
You know the difference between them and Incubus? Amazing!
13. LINKIN PARK 26. Crawling 1. In The End (01) 83. Numb 32. Faint 17. Somewhere I Belong (03) 23. Breaking The Habit (04) 22. Shadow of the Day 10. Bleed It Out 2. What I’ve Done (06) 66. What I’ve Done 60. Leave Out All The Rest 40. Shadow Of The Day 33. Bleed It Out 15. Given Up (08) 77. Shadow of the Day 7. New Divide (09) 52. New Divide 36. Waiting For The End 29. The Catalyst (10) 61. Waiting For The End (11) 59. Lost In The Echo, 9. Burn It Down (12) 1264/22
The only really great thing they ever did was say they were going to name their album Chinese Democracy (You Snooze, You Lose) but it’s also the worst because they didn’t do it. I saw them once at a 91X Xmas show. Not sure how I made it through. I had to give them points for weirding out the crowd by having a large man in a tiny bathing suit as a midset intermission (video below) but even stranger was when their singer came out with a firehose and doused the crowd. This was an inside show at 4th & B and he REALLY let folks have it. I kept thinking he was gonna stop and he just….didn’t. I guess they’ve got mop & straw folks built into their rider.
12. OFFSPRING 4. Come Out and Play 1. Self Esteem (94) 77. Kick Him When He’s Down (95) 15. Gone Away (97) 2. Pretty Fly ( For A White Guy) (98) 29. Why Don’t You Get A Job 21. She’s Got Issues 5. The Kids Aren’t Alright (99) 53. Total Immortal 9. Original Prankster (00) 73. Million Miles Away 4. Want You Bad (01) 59. Defy You (02) 45. Hit That (03) 49. (Can’t Get My) Head Around 40. Hit That (04) 14. You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid 2. Hammerhead (08) 75. Hammerhead 40. You’re Gonna Go Far Kid (09) 36. Days Go By (12) 1279/21
11. INCUBUS 84. Still Not A Player 23. Drive 8. Pardon Me 4. Stellar (00) 48. Nice To Know You 5. Wish You Were Here (01) 25. Are You In 13. Warning (02) 30. Talk Shows On Mute 20. Megalomaniac (04) 68. Dig 32. Anna Molly (06) 33. Oil and Water 15. Dig 9. Anna Molly (07) 87. Anna Molly 13. Love Hurts (08) 14. Black Heart Inertia (09) 35. Promises, Promises 13. Adolescents (11) 61. Adolescents (12) 1292/21
4 CONSECUTIVE YEARS: Weezer 94-97, Incubus 06-09
6 CONSECUTIVE YEARS: Killers 04-09
7 CONSECUTIVE YEARS: Muse 04-10
8 CONSECUTIVE YEARS: New Order 83-90, Offspring 97-04
11 CONSECUTIVE YEARS: 311 95-05
4 SONGS IN ONE YEAR: New Order (86) Incubus (00), Killers (07) Muse (09), Muse (10)
5 SONGS IN ONE YEAR: Linkin Park (08)
ON TO THE TOP 10!
BACK TO THE MAIN XXX PAGE