Aw, just a few days after news of their split. 91X was smart to play stuff for the kids while 94/9 was more for us olde folks so I never actually heard them for a nice long while even with Eric Hinojosa (Elgin Park, Incredible Moses Leroy) somehow ending up as their touring keyboardist.
70. MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE 56. I’m Not Okay (I Promise) (04) 71. The Ghost of You 15. Helena (05) 73. Famous Last Words 1. Welcome to the Black Parade (06) 66. Teenagers 52. Welcome to the Black Parade (07) 69. Sing 28. Na Na Na (10) 397/9
I saw them on that first tour when they still sounded like an awesome swamp marble mouth version of the Strokes. How quickly things change…
69. KINGS OF LEON 84. The Bucket (05) 12. Sex On Fire (08) 39. Notion 26. Sex on Fire 1. Use Somebody (09) 55. Radioactive 26. Use Somebody (10) 401/7
These SoCal favorites seem to get airplay every time they put out a new album but their only song I ever seem to hear on the radio in this town is Bro Hymn.
68. PENNYWISE 41. Alien (99) 63. Victim Of Reality (00) 76. Divine Intervention 37. F Authority (01) 55. Disconnect (05) 25. Die For You 11. The Western World (08) 85. The Western World 71. Die For You (09) 46. Let Us Hear Your Voice (12) 410/10
She sure was something before but if you nabbed the coolest guy ever and couldn’t keep him happy enough to stick around, you’d probably have some serious issues too. Get better, girl. I kinda liked your band.
67. HOLE 35. Miss World 2. Dolls Parts (94) 81. Softer, Softest 47. Violet (95) 47. Gold Dust Woman (96) 31. Malibu 4. Celebrity Skin (98) 75. Awful (99) 414/8
They are…alright. Saw them from a distance at the last San Diego Street Scene and it was kinds cool to watch the crowd energy surge along with “Lazy Eye”.
66. SILVERSUN PICKUPS 46. Well Thought Out Twinkles 4. Lazy Eye (07) 56. Substitution 5. Panic Switch (09) 86. Substitution 42. Panic Switch 23. The Royal We (10) 76. The Pit, 55. Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings) (12) 435/9
I remember seeing Stop Making Sense at the Guild Theater in Hillcrest RIP. SO good on the big screen. As close as I ever got to seeing them for reals (except for seeing David Byrne at a KROQ acoustic show).
65. TALKING HEADS 59. Burning Down the House (1983), 61. Television Man 48. Road To Nowhere 21. And She Was 14. Stay Up Late (85) 67. Puzzling Evidence 4. Wild Wild Life (86) 79. Blind, 36. Nothing but Flowers (88) 439/9
The first single sounded like overproduced G Love gone annoying and Halloran was telling me they were the next MC5. Every clip of them playing had lots of energy, pitch be damned. Then I started liking bits of future singles. First impressions don’t always stick.
64. CAGE THE ELEPHANT 31. Back Agaisnt the Wall 3. Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked (09) 79. Shake Me Down 67. Back Against The Wall 32. Ain’t No Rest For The Wicked 18. In One Ear (10) 49. Aberdeen 7. Shake Me Down (11) 450/8
They always make me think of my college roommate Chris Valuckas who had all their early albums on cassette. Maybe he can remind me of classics I’ve forgotten.
63. MIDNIGHT OIL 82. Power and the Passion (1983), 88. Sometimes 43. Dreamworld 20. Dead Heart 3. Beds are Burning (88) 38. Forgotten Years 25. King of the Mountain 9. Blue Sky Mine (90) 67. Truganini (93) 453/9
In 9th grade, Scott Brown took pity on the new kid and taped me Ocean Rain (with the Colourfield on the other side). I suddenly was a little cooler. I’ve been lucky enough to see them many times over the years and they’re just as timeless as their tunes. First was the infamous New Order/Gene Loves Jezebel show, then an Ian-less set on 91X’s Street Scene stage, a 4th & B comeback show, a few songs at Reading Festival ’99, a 4 o’clock Friday show at the Del Mar Races and, most recently, up in LA to see them do Ocean Rain with a full string section. Good and unintelligible as ever.
62. ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN 60. The Cutter, 47. Never Stop (1983), 24. Killing Moon, 4. Seven Seas (84) 47. Bring on the Dancing Horses (86) 83. The Game 59. People Are Strange 44. New Direction 2. Lips like Sugar (87) 458/9
Why can’t people stop talking about Jared Leto’s acting past and concentrate on how and why this is being played on alternative radio? Wait, that implies that I care. Nevermind.
61. 30 SECONDS TO MARS 62. From Yesterday 15. The Kill (06) 76. A Beautiful Lie 32.From Yesterday 12. The Kill (07) 27. Kings and Queens (09) 77. Kings And Queens 58. Closer To The Edge 8. This is War (10) 461/9
Five years in between hits: MIDNIGHT OIL: Power and the Passion (1983), Beds are Burning (88)
Four year streak: My Chemical Romance 04-07
Four songs in one year: Talking Heads (85), Midnight Oil (88), Cage The Elephant (10)
Check back here to keep up with the countdown or just “like” our Facebook page to see one act a day announced!
ON TO #51-60
BACK TO THE MAIN XXX PAGE