CLICK TO SEE CONTEST WINNERS, LOWEST SCORE & SNARKIEST COMMENTS!
With the eyes of the world on Yer Doin Great’s XXX Countdown we are happy to announce that we are turning it into a worldwide, one-question edition of our long-running, now-defunct music trivia night, Musical Pursuit. The rules are simple: send us your predictions for what you think will be the five acts with the most points in 91X countdown history (give a group 91 points for #1, 90 points for #2 on down to one point for a #91 song). We’ve lined up an unreal list of valuable prizes for the top guessers!
Simply email us at or go to our Facebook page and drop us a message with your name, your five guesses (in any order), where you live and (if you’re not on Facebook much or at all), an email or phone number to text you if you are one of the winners. The first place winner gets to choose THREE prizes and the second place winner gets two (neither are allowed to choose more than one of the Handlery Hotel stays). Once you send me your guesses, you cannot and will not change them, no matter how much you think Kajagoogoo is a better answer. You can only send me one set of guesses or you’re in trouble. Don’t ask for hints but feel free to look at the quick-glance list of acts announced so far or the super-fun XXX main page full of songs, years, chart positions, pictures, drawings and other random fun so you don’t embarrass yourself. The deadline to submit your guesses is the end of Monday, March 11th but don’t wait too long. Any ties will be decided by whoever sent in their answers first. Just guess, already! NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED and “I would’ve won had I known about it sooner” is simply pathetic. On February 25th, we’ll post the #92-100 acts and on Tuesday, March 5th, we’ll start posting one of the top 91 acts every day until we get to #1 on June 3rd. Once the countdown is over, we’ll contact the winners, have them choose one prize and then announce the top guessers. OVER THIRTY WINNERS! I like your odds. CHECK OUT THE XXX FACEBOOK PRIZE GALLERY FOR PICTURES AND MORE DETAILS ON WHAT’S UP FOR GRABS!
FOR LOCALS OR PEOPLE VISITING OUR FAIR CITY
- Two free tickets to any show at The Casbah
- $25 gift certificate to Lefty’s Pizza (two available)
- $20 gift certificate to Spin Records
- Four free tickets to any upcoming San Diego School of Rock show (Motown, Rolling Stones, Best of the 90’s or Queens of The Stone Age’s Songs For The Deaf, next season’s dates TBD)
- Four free tickets to any upcoming Vista School of Rock show (Black Sabbath at Sunset Temple in North Park June 21, Foo Fighters or Dark Side of the Moon (both at Carlsbad Village Theater on June 22) or next season: Indie Rock, The Who,
AC/DC, Green Day’s Dookie, dates TBD)
- $20 gift certificate to M-Theory Music
- $20 gift certificate to Tiger! Tiger!
- $20 gift certificate to Blind Lady Ale House
- $25 gift certificate to Jaynes Gastropub
- $50 food gift certificate to Handlery Hotel in San Diego
- Five pound bag of coffee from Caffe Calabria (two available)
- Four choice seats for Friday July 12th Padres vs Giants game at Petco Park (plus extra Padre goodies)
- $50 gift certificate to the new Great Maple (formerly Brian’s from the folks who brought you Hash House & the Tractor Room, U-T preview)
- Four hours of studio time at XYZ Audio
- Two tickets to Brian Posehn (Mr Show) at American Comedy Club, July 19 or 20
- Two tickets to Michael McDonald (MAD TV) at American Comedy Club, October 4 or 5th
- $25 gift certificate to The Station Tavern & Burgers
- $25 gift certificate to Guitar Trader
- Two tickets to see Berkley Hart and Back to the Garden performing The Last Waltz on November 16 at the Poway Center For The Performing Arts
- Two tickets to see Yesterday And Today, an amazing all request Beatles show on April 4, 2014 at the Poway Center For The Performing Arts
OUT-OF-TOWNERS WELCOME. ANYONE CAN PLAY & WIN!
- Two year subscription to The Big Takeover magazine
- Two night stay at Handlery Hotel in San Diego (locals are welcome to take a staycation too)
- Two night stay at Handlery Hotel in San Francisco
- One of a kind Squirrel Nut Zippers “All Along The Frying Pan” one track cd sent as master for 2000 Songs For Summer charity album
- VHS single for Matthew Sweet’s “Time Capsule” that includes a never-before-seen black & white subtitled version….er, until a week ago DAMNIT. Whatever, it’s still rare.
- Signed 1995 Bjork setlist & ticket stub
- 90’s Cibo Matto stage plot diagram
- 5×7 black & white signed Maureen McCormick photo
- Tapeheads movie 8×10 black & white promo still with King Cotton as Roscoe and Angelo Moore from Fishbone with Confederate flag backdrop
- Signed Blue Oyster Cult 8×10 black & white photo, Imaginos Tour
- 91X preview ticket for the movie Singles, 9/15/92 Horton Plaza
- Backbeat movie screening pass, 3/16/94 Wheeler Auditorium, Cal Berkeley
- Jellyfish pack: “Baby’s Coming Back” one track cd single, Ghost at Number One promo single (edit & LP versions), I Wanna Stay Home promo single (one track, no artwork)
- Jason Falkner pack: 1998 unmastered mixes advanced cassette of then unnamed Can You Still Feel?, Can You Still Feel? advanced cd, “Follow Me” Australian single (w/Both Sides Now, Wicked Annabella & In Awe Of Industry), “I Live” single w/A Song From Under The Floorboards & Burning Airlines Give You So Much More
- $25 gift certificate to Guitar Trader
- Any poster of any act that appeared on the XXX Countdown of up to $30 value from OTRVinyl (browse their Ebay store with THOUSANDS of choices) (2 available).
- $50 gift certificate to Gordon Biersch (2 available)
- Purple Rose Nubby Dildo by Gläs (to be delivered discreetly and doesn’t count against you, pick another prize)
- Red Head Double Dildo by Gläs (to be delivered discreetly and doesn’t count against you, pick another prize)
- 91X keychain (probably from the 80’s)
FOR TOP 20 WINNERS ONLY. STRAIGHT OUTTA THE “TO BE SOLD ON EBAY PILE”
- Olivia Newton-John tour tshirt signed by Frankie Avalon(what the Grease?!)
- 1994 Blur Parklife US tour tshirt
- 1993 Barenaked Ladies first US tour tshirt, cartoon by Kurt Swinghammer
- 1980’s promo “Saved By Zero” Fixx t-shirt
- 1994 Grays t-shirt
CHECK BACK FOR NEW PRIZES, DETAILS, PHOTOS AND MORE! Also, we’re adding photos of all of the prizes to the XXX PRIZE GALLERY on Facebook. “Like” our Facebook page for updates. How are the winners scored and ranked? Just give one point for wherever the acts that you guess place in the countdown and then add up all five. If someone guesses the top five exactly right, that is the absolute lowest score: 15 points (#1+#2+#3+#4+#5=15). The person with the lowest score wins first pick of the prizes and we’ll contact the next top (lowest) scores until the treasure chest is empty. The only people who are not eligible to enter are my girlfriend and a few friends of mine who played this exact game with me last year when I first totaled up 29 years worth of countdowns. My friend Dan, who used to predict top 91 stuff with me when we were kids, beat me by two points, guessing an amazing five out of the top six for the low-low score of 18 points. No one knows these lists better than me and I got BEAT so give it a shot! Check back on this page for updates on prizes and new contest details or just like our Facebook page to REALLY stay in the loop! This countdown is not affiliated with XETRA-FM or 91X, it’s just ABOUT it….and also near it. We highly recommend you check out their 30th Anniversary website.